This is a very safe, non-toxic way of dying fibre. The dye is permanent. The photo below shows some of the colours that may be achieved.
You will require:
A quart sized canning jar
1 pkg. regular Kool-Aid (no sugar)
10 grams pre-washed fibre white or light colour
1 old spoon or chopstick
- Fill canning jar, half to three quarters full with hot water.
- Add Kool-Aid, mixing well.
- Add wet pre-washed fibre. Mix well with chopstick to make sure all fibre is coated with Kool-Aid.
- Place jar in larger pan filled with four to five inches of hot water. Place on medium heat burner.
- Wait approximately ten minutes. All dye from the Kool-Aid will be absorbed by the fibre and the water in the canning jar will be clear or milky.
- Remove from heat. Let fibre cool in dye water. Squeeze out water and lay out to dry.
Keep an eye on Wedding Belle
and see what happens
when we put Kool-Aid
in her drinking water.
Spun llama yarn for sale
Knitting kits for hats and scarves for sale
Baby llama knitting pattern number two
Baby llama knitting pattern number three
Baby llama knitting pattern number four
Baby llama knitting pattern number five
Baby llama knitting pattern number six
Back to knitting page
Back to fibre page
Mount Lehman Llamas Directory A guide to the rest of our web site.
Brian and Jane Pinkerton
29343 Galahad Crescent
Canada V4X 2E4
Phone or Fax: 604-856-3196
Mount Lehman Llamas Home Page Farm Page Llama Question and Answer Page